Our skilled dentists may recommend a dental crown if you have a tooth that is fractured, worn down, decayed or otherwise damaged. Crowns, also known as dental caps, are a type of restoration that work to strengthen and support your tooth, restoring its shape, appearance and function as well as protecting it from further damage. Crowns are custom-designed to fit over the entire visible portion of your tooth. The majority of crowns are made from porcelain but can also be made from gold or porcelain fused to metal.
Crowns may be recommended for a number of purposes, including:
- Protecting and restoring a tooth after a root canal
- Anchoring and attaching a dental bridge
- Covering and completing a dental implant
- Strengthening teeth that are fractured or weakened
- Supporting teeth with large fillings
- Improving misshapen teeth
- Enhancing the appearance of a tooth
Dental crowns typically require two appointments to create: one in which your tooth is prepared and an impression taken, and one in which the completed crown is placed onto the tooth. A temporary crown will be provided to protect the tooth between appointments.
We invite you to contact Louisiana Dental Center today at 504-287-4467 to schedule a consultation with our dentists and learn more about dental crowns in Kenner, Louisiana.